Sunday, November 22, 2009

My First "Rejections"

When the nurses first brought my son to me, I felt helpless. I had cared for young children and a few babies before, but had never experienced a newborn. He was long and skinny. This would seem to explain the need to do back-bends when he stretched in utero.

I just held him and looked at this miracle. I felt I should say something, but what do you say to a newborn? I found myself assuring him that I would take care of him and that everything would be alright. I chose to nurse as nature intended, but found that the nurses had given him sugar water when I was resting, which complicated the effort. He was uninterested when they brought him to me and would rather sleep. My first "rejection."

Later, when family came to visit, I felt even more "rejected." I heard them coming down the hallway discussing their new nephew, grandson, etc. They went to see the baby first! How could they? Hadn't I put in all that effort to bring him into this world? Didn't I deserve a little credit and congratulations?

Of course, they wanted to see the baby first. He was brand new. Me, they had met before. I had been special when I was pregnant but now that the product had been delivered, they wanted the toy to play with. Such is life.

After viewing the newest member of the family, I naturally came next. There were discussions of who he favored and hadn't I done a good job, and all of that. I realized they still loved me.

Life had changed for me at that point. I realized I had super powers now. I had mom-spit.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Feel free to leave a comment or ask a question. Everyone has unique experiences that are surprisingly similar when you really think about it. It truly links us together.